South Dakota RV Camping
South Dakota RV Camping – Boondocking Along “The Wall”
South Dakota RV Camping
South Dakota RV camping is hard to beat! Fabulous scenery, interesting history, and of course, the faces on Mt Rushmore all await you. From RV resorts to basic service public campgrounds, there is something for everyone in South Dakota. Free dispersed camping (boondocking) is available on USDA Forest Service administered lands.
South Dakota RV Parks and Campgrounds
- South Dakota RV Parks – Research tool for finding the best private South Dakota RV parks and campgrounds.
Federal RV Camping Information
- National Park Service – NPS information about South Dakota RV camping in National Parks and other NPS administered lands.
- US Forest Service – USFS information about dispersed camping (boondocking) and developed campgrounds at the USDA National Forests and Grasslands in South Dakota.
- Bureau of Land Management – BLM information about the very limited South Dakota RV camping locations and dispersed camping rules.
- US Army Corps of Engineers – USACE/COE South Dakota RV camping information about Corps-managed lakes and campgrounds.
State RV Camping Information
- State Parks – RV camping is available throughout South Dakota’s beautiful state park system.
- Division of Wildlife – South Dakota has many developed campgrounds associated with wildlife and fishing areas.
- Official State Tourism Website – Where to go and what to do. Includes South Dakota RV camping suggestions and trip planning ideas.
RV Camping Reservations
- Camping Reservations – Make your campground reservation in advance, and your campsite will be waiting for you when you arrive.
RV Dump Stations
Free South Dakota RV Camping
South Dakota Camping Location Maps – Map of public campgrounds across South Dakota. This map shows only a few of all free and low-cost camping locations available. Map features can be zoomed in and panned for exact location.
Free RV camping is allowed a few miles south of Wall on National Grassland managed lands. This free dispersed camping (boondocking) location is one of our Featured Campgrounds. The Wall RV Camping Location has maps, directions, and photos of this great free South Dakota RV camping location.
Public South Dakota RV Camping
South Dakota RV camping is great for RVers looking for varied outdoor experiences. Campgrounds managed by the National Park Service, BLM (Bureau of Land Management), USFS (US Forest Service), and South Dakota State Parks offer great RV camping locations. Amenities range from dry RV camping with only trash and pit toilets to RV camping sites with full RV hookups. This is only a sample of public South Dakota RV camping opportunities.
Wind Cave National Park has first come, first serve RV camping. No hookups but numerous pull-thru campsites. Water and flush toilets during warmer weather, then vault toilets and no water in winter.
Two campgrounds with different personalities are available at Roy Lake State Park. Sandy beaches, picnic areas, boat ramps, and a variety of hiking trails are available. Groceries, boat rentals, and more.
The BLM managed Ft Meade Recreation Area offers free camping with a western flair at the Alkali Horse Camp. Low-cost South Dakota RV camping in a historic area with picnic tables and vault toilets. A limited number of campsites.